The Scrum Framework :
- The Scrum framework consists of Scrum Teams and their associated accountabilities, artifacts, events and rules as defined in the Scrum Guide.
Scrum Team composition :
- Product Owner
- Scrum Master
The Scrum accountabilities :
- The Scrum Team is a self-organizing team consisting of the Product Owner, Developers, and Scrum Master.
- 1. Product Owner
- 2. Developers
- 3. Scrum Master
- The Scrum Team consists only of these accountabilities.
- No other roles, no Project Managers or Functional Managers exist within the Scrum Team.
- According to the Scrum rules, there are just three accountabilities in a Scrum Team as the Scrum Master, the Product Owner, and the Developers and nothing else.
- The project manager’s duties are distributed among these three pre-defined Scrum accountabilities.
- All team members could be part-time or full-time but dedicated members are recommended for the Developers.
- On the other hand, these are the roles not assigned people.
- It means one member could have two roles at the same time for example as a Product Owner and a Developer.
- In The 2020 Scrum Guide, Roles are remplaced by Accountabilities.
Scrum Master accountability :
- In the Scrum framework, the Scrum Master is accountable for establishing Scrum as defined in the Scrum Guide, and responsible for promoting and supporting Scrum :
- The Scrum Master do this by helping everyone understand Scrum Theory and practice, both within the Scrum Team and the Organization.
- The Scrum Master is accountable for the Scrum Team’s effectiveness.
- Scrum Master is the role within a Scrum Team accountable for guiding, coaching, teaching and assisting Scrum Team and its environments in properly understanding Scrum.
- Scrum Masters are true leaders who serve the Scrum Team and the larger organization.
- They do this by enabling the Scrum Team to improve its practices, within the Scrum framework.
- Scrum Masters help everyone understand :
1. Scrum Theory
- The Scrum Master serves the Scrum Team in several ways, including:
- Coaching the team members in self-management and cross-functionality;
- Helping the Scrum Team focus on creating high-value Increments that meet the Definition of Done;
- Causing the removal of impediments to the Scrum Team’s progress; and,
- Ensuring that all Scrum Events take place and are positive, productive, and kept within the timebox.
Scrum Master and Product Backlog management :
- The Scrum Master is responsible for ensuring that the Product Backlog management does this, the Product Backlog must be :
3. Clear to all
4. Showing the next item the Scrum Team should work on
Scrum Master coaching and mentoring :
- The Scrum Master must coach the Developers in Self-Organization and cross-functionality.
- The Scrum Master serves the Product Owner in several ways, including :
- Helping find techniques for effective Product Goal definition and Product Backlog management;
- Helping the Scrum Team understand the need for clear and concise Product Backlog items;
- Helping establish empirical product planning for a complex environment; and,
- Facilitating stakeholder collaboration as requested or needed.
- The Scrum Master serves the organization in several ways, including:
- Leading, training, and coaching the organization in its Scrum adoption;
- Planning and advising Scrum implementations within the organization;
- Helping employees and stakeholders understand and enact an empirical approach for complex work; and,
- Removing barriers between stakeholders and Scrum Team.
Scrum Master practice with the Developers :
- Scrum Master will help the Developers to create high-value Products.
- Scrum Master must remove impediments to the Developers‘s progress.
- Scrum Master coaches the Developers in organizational environments in which Scrum is fully adopted and understood.
Scrum Master practice with the Organization :
- Scrum Master leads the coaching of the organization in its Scrum adoption :
- Scrum Master plans Scrum Implementations within the organization.
- Scrum Master helps Stakeholders and Employees understand and enact Scrum and empirical product development.
- Scrum Master must work with all involved parties to understand if Artifacts are completely transparent :
- Scrum Master is responsible for increasing Transparency in Artifacts by work that involves learning, convincing, and change.
- Scrum Master helps everyone in the Scrum Team apply the most appropriate practices in the absence of complete Transparency.
- Scrum Master can detect lack of complete Transparency by inspecting Artifacts, sensing patterns, listening closely to what is said, and detecting differences between expected and real results.
Scrum Master practice with the Scrum Team :
- The Scrum Master participates as a peer team member in the Sprint Retrospective from the accountability over the Scrum process.
- The Scrum Master is a servant-leader for the Scrum Team :
- The Scrum Master helps those outside the Scrum Team understand which of their interactions with the Scrum Team are helpful and which aren’t.
- The Scrum Master helps everyone change these interactions to maximize the value created by the Scrum Team.
Scrum Master servant-leadership :
- The Scrum Guide says the following “Scrum Master Service to the Developers, the Scrum Master serves the Developers in several ways, including :
- Coaching the Developers in Self-Organization and cross-functionality;
- Helping the Developers to create high-value products;
- Removing impediments to the Developers’s progress;
- Facilitating Scrum events as requested or needed; and,
- Coaching the Developers in organizational environments in which Scrum is not yet fully adopted and understood”
- The Scrum Master facilitates Inspection and Adaptation opportunities as requested or as needed.
More informations for the Scrum PSD certification here.
Updated : 02/09/21