Function points (FP) definition
- The function point is a “unit of measurement” to express the amount of business functionality an information system (as a product) provides to a user.
Function points purpose
- Function points are used to compute a functional size measurement (FSM) of software.
Function points practice
- The cost (in dollars or hours) of a single unit is calculated from past projects.
- The use of function points in favor of lines of code seek to address several additional issues :
- The risk of “inflation” of the created lines of code, and thus reducing the value of the measurement system, if developers are incentivized to be more productive.
- FP advocates refer to this as measuring the size of the solution instead of the size of the problem.
More informations for the Scrum PSD certification here.
Updated : 01/10/2021